Thursday, February 25, 2016

Making a paddock/arena base Part 2

I finally got around to continue on my base.

I painted my sticks white because I like white fences and let them dry.

Now they look like this:


I turned my attention to the base and I tilted the board and tapped it on the table covered by a newspaper again (I left the sand on from the second layer since the last time I was working on it so the glue was definitely dry). I was happy with the coverage I got after my second layer so I didn't do another one.

This is what it looks like after my second layer:



I did find the base a bit sandpaper-y (that's probably not even a word) so I decided to cover up the sand with another layer of glue to keep the sand from falling of and to make the sandlayer a bit softer and less prone to accidentally scratch a model. This would've been best done with a paintbrush but I realized that all of my good brushes are at uni... The only brushes I had was a 0 brush and a badly beaten 00 brush so I did it with my fingers. Worked fine, although a little messy :)


While the glue was drying I decided to glue the now dry sticks for my fence together. I measured and marked where I wanted my pieces to go together and then glued them together.

I glued them on one by one so on this picture it's only the one on the left that is glued together.


I glued on the one on the right when the first one was dry and the middle one when the outer ones were dry.

This is what it looks like at the moment:  



The sand looked a bit, almost glossy when the top layer of glue was dry but it doesn't show up in the quick photos I've tried to take.

I am contemplating what to do about the edge of the corkboard, if I should keep it as is, paint it or put some fake grass over it.

Other than that the base is pretty much finished and can be used in performance as is. It would also work for photoshow photos as is, if I had nice surroundings to take them in. Unfortunately I don't have any suitable surroundings where I can bring my models so before I'll be able to use it for photoshow photos I'll need to get myself some nice backgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment