Friday, February 12, 2016

Copperfox 10 Day Challenge Day 5: Create something for your models or try a new skill

Challenge Day 5: "The model horse hobby is full of things to create both for your models or using your models. Today's the day to be brave and have a go at creating that jump for your models or to have a go at painting your horses hooves."

This is a really fun challenge! I had to be a bit creative in my thinking since I lack some of my supplies (my boyfriend borrowed them to use as he is putting together a model ship) and I also lack time (since I have schoolwork that desperately needs to be finished). So that means that I could only make a quick and relatively easy creation.

I decided to create a temporary photo place for my latest model.

The things I used:
Cereal box
2 printed pictures (one for the background and one for footing)
Glue stick
Scissors
Superglue
White sheet of paper (thicker than normal computer paper, I used a sheet from my sketch pad)

For my background picture I choose one I took myself a few years ago and the picture I used for footing I found here. I used the lighter grass one and darkened it in Gimp to make it fit my background a bit better. I then made the picture smaller, copied it and placed them next to each other to make it a bit more in scale. I printed them both on regular printing paper.

Next I took my cereal box and opened it up:


I glued (with a glue stick) my background onto a piece of white paper to make sure that the grey from the cereal box wouldn't make the colours of the picture darker. When dry, I cut it out.


I glued the grass footing picture directly onto the cerealbox since the picture wasn't as light as the background.


I then cut off the tabs on either side of the grass base (red arrows in the picture). I wanted a backdrop and base that was on the same piece of cardboard so that i would be easy to store it flat and fold up when I wanted to take photos. The fold of the cereal box (circled in red) made it harder so I took the tabs that I cut of and glued it (with super glue) on the back of the fold to make it stronger and not fold. While the glue was drying I put it under a heavy box to make sure that the tabs I glued on would really stabilize the fold.


When it was all dry, I glued (with a glue stick) the background right above the grass.


When dry I cut around the pictures and folded where the two pictures met. This is what it looks like when finished. Mine has a tendency to curl a little on the edges so I store mine under a heavy box at the moment to help with that.



Here are a few quick pictures I took using it:



I think the one below is my favourite of the bunch :)



No comments:

Post a Comment