Thursday, November 30, 2017

Baking Soda + Super glue = ?

My poor Akhal Teke resin was missing an ear and I was looking into the baking soda + super glue method to fix that issue. I have never used this method before but as he is my project/experiment model I thought why not try it out.

Baking soda + super glue = rock candy? Well not really but it kind of looks like it!

I used this tutorial as help, mostly used the method dipping the ear with glue into the baking soda.

It was a quick method to build up the bulk. My results did not look as good as the result in the tutorial. But for a first try I think I at least got what I need to file this blob into an ear!




A few helpful tips:
Wear gloves! (I learnt this the hard way...) This method might be a tiny bit messy if your glue is very runny (like mine is) or if you are like me a bit impatient and total newbie to this method (also like me) and it is VERY easy to get some glue on your skin.

There will be a "reaction" between the baking soda and super glue so that your newly made "blob" (or ear or whatever it is you are going to fix) will be a bit warm to the touch, but no worries it will cool down shortly.


Try to be patient and thorough. I totally failed at this which will end in me having to do A LOT of sanding in order to get and ear shape out of my blob. But if you try to be patient and take care where you get the baking soda and super glue I am sure your first attempt will be far better than mine.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, this has been very helpful. I am vicariously enjoying your Akhal Teke while waiting for my own to arrive. What color are you dreaming of for him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that. What Akhal Teke are coming your way? I'm a bit undecided on the colour but I'm leaning towards a chestnut with high whites and a blaze.

      Delete