Tuesday, January 29, 2019

NaMoPaiMo Sign Up

For the third year in a row I signed up for NaMoPaiMo. Last year, I managed to finish my horse in time, the year before that, not so much. I chose a big challenge last year and in a way, I think I've chosen an even bigger challenge this year.


I still consider my experience level to be intermediate as I have painted models before but I still have to learn a lot and since last NaMoPaiMo, I have only painted very few models.

This year my model of choice is an American Saddlebred mare, Santa Maria resin, sculpted by Kitty Cantrell. I won her at a liveshow last year when my dear Sahale J (RC El Embosco rep. E. Gonzales) won Best In Show. I plan to paint her a bay blanket and show her as an American Saddlebred based Walkaloosa.

The mediums I'll use are acrylics, pastels and maybe some coloured pencils for details and this year will be my first try using PanPastels which I ordered yesterday.

My challenges for this year is mostly the colour, I have painted bay horses before but I have never painted an appaloosa pattern before. Making smooth white markings is another thing I usually struggle with so that will definitely be another challenge. And all the skin mottling! Wow I think I'll be really pushing my limits with this one!

My NaMoPaiMo goals for this year is to finish my model, try to get a feel for PanPastels but most of all learn some new tips and tricks. I would love to be able to paint a side project or two during NaMoPaiMo but we'll see how that will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment