Thursday, February 7, 2019

Fourth, fifth and sixth day of NaMoPaiMo

Day 4:
Believe it or not! My PanPastels actually arrived today! Very unexpected. I decided to try them out immediately.


I, unfortunately, had to work overtime and then I had to do some errands and chores before I could get to try them out. That way I only had time to do one layer.

First layer of PanPastels: Yellow Ochre on the body, burnt sienna on the lower legs and neutral grey on nose, eyes and genitalia.

Day 5:
I realized the PanPastels were far more pigmented than the pastels I am used to using and that my horse ended up to yellow ochre after the last layer and I decided to try and take it down a notch with a layer of Titanium White pastels.

Second layer of PanPastels: Titanium White all over body.
It worked well, maybe a little bit too well. She almost looked like a roan before I got the white on her face. But it helped taking the yellow down.

Third layer of PanPastels. A mix of white, yellow ochre and burnt sienna on body. Neutral grey on nose, eyes and genitals. Burnt Sienna on lower legs.
I then mixed a new batch that matched my reference photo better and started again.

Day 6:
Working the late shift at work so I didn't have a whole lot of time to paint but I got to start darken her colour gradually.

Fourth layer of PanPastels: a mix of yellow ochre and burnt sienna on body.

Day 7: 
I wasn't going to paint anything today. I was tired from work and didn't feel like painting but then I read this post on the Braymere blog and decided to at least do one layer. I did. The mix is the same as yesterday and right now my horse has gotten a bit grainy, but I am fairly certain that this will work out with a few more layers of the mix.

Fifth layer of PanPastels: A mix of yellow ochre and burnt sienna on body.

I am quite happy with where her colour is going at the moment and I think I might need about two to three more layers with this mix before going darker again. Hopefully I can get at least 5 or 6 layers on this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment