Monday, February 5, 2018

First layers!

I put the last layer of primer on my NaMoPaiMo horse on Saturday afternoon and since I really want this guy to turn out good I really wanted to wait until I was sure the primer was dry (24 hours). That meant that I couldn't start painting my horse until about 4 pm Sunday afternoon.

The wait, OH the wait! I've been looking forward to start on this guy for quite some time now and having 2 whole days off (more like one and a half due to some chores but still) and not being able to paint my model was quite annoying. I had to do something and so I started on my 5 side projects. They all got their first layer of pastels and then I could finally(!) start my NaMoPaiMo horse!

First layer of acrylics.
 It was quite the struggle to paint this large horse and I'm not sure what to hold onto while painting. For now, I've tried the back legs and trying to have it standing on the table while painting but that was quite uncomfortable and I probably looked really stupid trying to paint his belly and inside of the back legs while he was standing on the living room table 😉.

Second layer of acrylics.
 With the second layer I think we are ready to start with pastels today but I'll have to take a closer look at him in daylight before I decide. The basecoat is a mix of white, yellow ochre and some gold paint. I hoped that the gold paint would add some shimmer to the coat but that doesn't seem to be the case.

My NaMoPaiMo model and my sideprojects!
All the sideprojects has gotten their first layer of pastels. They will be (left to right) dapple grey, dark bay, golden chestnut sabino, buckskin sabino and chestnut tobiano. Hopefully I'll be able to finish all of them in February but we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a good solution. I can't wait to see how he looks. I haven't started mine yet (out of town) but soon!

    ReplyDelete