Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Even more layers

The downside to working with cheap pastels is that it'll take A LOT of layers to get you anywhere and progress is really, really slow.

Tenth layer: Pastels, terracotta. 
Eleventh layer: Pastels, terracotta.


 I've started to try and get my model out of the cheeto stage but it's not going too well at the moment.

Twelfth layer: Pastels, terracota + raw sienna
I've also had to fight quite a bit of grain during the later layers.

Thirteenth layer: Pastels, terracotta + raw sienna
He actually looks quite a bit better in the pictures than in person which is kind of frustrating...

Fourteenth layer: Pastels, terracotta + raw sienna + darker brown

Fifteenth layer: Pastels, terracotta + raw sienna + more darker brown
My goal is to have all the pastel work done by the end of next week in order to give me enough time to do the finishing details but from what it looks like at the moment, I have quite some way to go if I want to make that work.

2 comments:

  1. It is sobering how much work it's taking. I can hardly tell any difference in your layers. Still he looks fantastic! I'm really looking forward to this one! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pastels are quite cheap so they are probably not as pigmented as more expensive brands and that's probably why it takes so many layers. Thank you, and good luck to you too!

      Delete