Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Finished!

I managed to finish my stablemate saddle today! Here are a few pictures from the last few days of work:

I made my own stirrups using this tutorial. And added the stirrup leathers. They were such a pain get into place! I even managed to poke a hole in my finger with the non-pointy end of a needle... Yeah, that part caused some irritation and bad words. Poor boyfriend had to put up with me during this step...


I then attached the seat which is a bit too bulky and big for the rest of the saddle.


I then attached the jockeys which just adds to the impression that the seat is too big and bulky.


I then lined the underside with some thin leather to make it look a lot neater.


I then made and attach the panels to the underside and they actually made the saddle look a tiny bit better in photos, but it's still too bulky and big. 


The girth is just a long strip of leather that is glued under the offside of the saddle and supposed to be sticky waxed under the showside flap but in the pictures I cheated and just tucked it under 😊


It's far from perfect but it was a fun project and I have learnt a great deal that I can do differently next time. This was my unofficial project for NMTM but I'm glad I got it finished.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for trying something new - and finishing! It's got more detail than MY first SM English saddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had a lot of help from Anna Helts (Dreamflite Design) English Saddle Guide. Without it the result would not have been this good :)

      Delete