Thursday, April 17, 2014

MHL Stablemate Painting Competition

One of the model horse forums that I'm a member of is the Model Horse Love forum. Recently they announced a Stablemate Painting Contest and I thought that might be a great opportunity to actually get something painted.

I love to paint, I really do, but since I'm not very good at it I have a hard time finding the inspiration. But since I like working on a deadline and can be quite competitive I think this is the perfect way to motivate myself.

My victims arrived last week and I had to pick them up at a postoffice...

This is what the package looked like...




I have no idea what the postal system has done to it, and I'm not sure I want to know either... Anyway this is NOT the first time I've had a package look like this... And I get just as mad every time since I know that this is not uncommon... Compared to some boxes I've seen this is a mild case but still this is not how it is supposed to be. This time it was "only" a couple of unpainted Breyer stablemates and they made it anyway (thanks to safe packing) but next time it might be very expensive resin that won't make it. 

Enough of the negative rambling, these are my two intended victims:


I got the stablemate G2 Thoroughbred and the stablemate G2 Paso molds. I really like the TB mold but I'm not a huge fan of the Paso (mostly since I'm more of a sporthorse person and I'm not sure about breed assignments for the Paso, which means I'm not sure about colour choices).


Since I'm into pedigree assignment I'll take the chance to give one of my pedigrees a new model which means that I'll probably try to paint her a palomino dominant white, a buckskin dominant white, a dark dapple grey or a chestnut. I've only painted one palomino and one buckskin (both turned out VERY yellow =P), three chestnuts and no greys so what ever colour I decide to paint, it'll be a challenge =)


I'm not sure what breed to assign my Paso and therefore I'm not sure what colour to paint her. I don't know why but some kind of brindle or silver bay/silver black came to mind. Never painted any of them so it could be fun or it could be a total disaster, we'll see :) Another thought is to paint something spotted or pinto coloured and show her as a Spanish Jennet.... Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...

I did actually find a Breyer Sm. G2 Appaloosa very far down in my bodybox and I'll paint all three of them and the two that speaks to me the most and turns out the best will be entered in the competition :) the appy already told me that he doesn't want to be an appy anymore, he wants to be an overo paint instead (if he could just decide what base colour he wants all will be good...).

Now to find some references and get started painting :)

2 comments:

  1. I got the G2 Thoroughbred and G2 Warmblood. And now I must think how to paint them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really nice molds! I can't wait to see what you'll make of them :)

      Delete