Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Documenting the collection

One of my model horse goals this year was to document my entire collection, their general info, pedigrees, offsprings and show results. I originally wanted to organize this in binders (since I love to be able to flip through it and have a good overview). But I realized how many papers that would be and I try to do my best to not waste natures resources so I've recently scratched that plan and now I'm documenting them on my computer and saving them in neatly organized files on my external harddrive :)

It works quite well and I've found a template that I really like and can use for almost any breed or horse with just slight alterations.

This is an example of how it will look:

     

The first page consists of general information;
Name
A picture

Name
Date of birth
Breed

Bloodline/Mare family/Breedpercent - For bloodline for arabians to separate the Egyptian Arabian from the Russian Arabians and so on. Mare family for the Swedish Warmbloods and breedpercent for crossbreds or riding ponies.
Sex
Height - "Real" horse height, not height of model
Colour
Genetics - Colour genetics
Markings
Model
Breeder
Registration number
Other


And the second page is a 5 generation pedigree.


Page 3 is where I'll list the offsprings. I'll list the information on the foal as follows:
Year of birth, name, breed, colour, sex, sire/dam (depending on if the documented horse is the father or the mother) and breeder.

Page 4 (and more if I have a horse that gets to show a lot) is for showresults. I'll list the date of the show, name of the show (and if it is a photoshow or liveshow), class and placing.

Documenting the collection is a HUGE job and it will take me a lot of time to do but slow and steady wins the race so I'll get there sooner or later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment