Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Mini Haggis

I saved the best for last, at least if you ask me. My mini Haggis is the last of the five models I finished in time for the liveshow in November.

This is the piece out of the five I was most hesitant to paint, most excited about and the one that made me nervous through the entire painting process.

I have gotten used to the sight of my white mini Haggis standing in the shelf as he has done for the last 9 years. Damn that's a long time! 


Anyway I gathered all my courage, envisioned him a typical bay clydesdale with high whites and a wide blaze and started painting him with pastels.

I was so scared many times while painting because I didn't think he turn out good since the layers didn't go on as I expected. 


Despite my fears I kept working on him, hoping that he would turn out well and he went along very smoothly! The only thing was that it took like 30 layers to get a solid basecoat (no, not really thirty, but it definitely felt like it! Think it was somewhere between 5 and 8 layers). He turned out darker than I had planned but damn I think I nailed the shading and highlights quite well on him (at least if you see him in hand).


Once again, pardon the pictures, I will get new ones as soon as I can but for now these will have to do. I'm really happy with how he turned out and even though he might not be top LSQ he is at least an improvement from the white naked body I have been staring at for 9 years!


I showed him under the name of Brigand but I think he needs a new name.


I am happy with my five "new" models and I hope you've enjoyed seeing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment