Friday, November 21, 2014

10 years of collecting




I just realised that the middle of July marked my 10 year anniversary of collecting models. Next fall will mark my 10 year anniversary as an active model horse hobby member (showing, pedigree assigning, painting and buying models from other collectors instead of just retailers). But like I said, that is for next year.

This year it's my 10th year of collecting! Yay :)

My collection started out small, and it all began with a Schleich Fjordhorse Gelding. My Schleich collection grew and after a while Breyers followed. My collection grew to big to store on my desk or other shelf so I got a bookshelf for my models, It wasn't very big and not the most stable one either but it worked.



I knitted blankets and leg protection for all of my collection and my mother crocheted halters for them in the same colour as their blankets and leg protection. That was mostly to keep them protected and to keep the dust away.

Soon my collection outgrew my bookshelf and I wanted a cabinet with glass doors to keep them in. I got one very cheap and moved my collection into it.

Top shelves

Middle shelves

Lower shelves
That was good enough for a while but later on I had to keep models in the closed half cabinet as well and my Schleich models had to move into my CD shelf.


CD shelf, glass door cabinet and closed half cabinet

A better picture showing the CD shelf and the glass cabinet
I felt like my cabinets started to be a bit too full after a while and wanted to have another glass cabinet. When I was buying furniture for my apartment where I was going to study I got a great deal on some much needed bookshelves (for the apartment) and a glass cabinet, much like the one I already had. I couldn't turn that down so my collection moved into another glass cabinet and this is what it looks like today:


My newest models, the Justin Tyme resin, Elsa resin and Tivoli resin are still not in there but I hope that I will have time to make room for them when I'm home for Christmas.

10 years have made quite a difference in the collection. From only collecting Schleich to move on to OF Breyers and now getting more and more into resins :)

No comments:

Post a Comment