Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Silver Brumby Project

When I was around 7 or 8 years old, I ccame across the Silver Brumby books by Elyne Mitchell for the first time. I read the first (The Silver Brumby) and the second book (Silver Brumby's Daughter) in a matter of days. I was completely hooked and it wasn't long before I found the third (Silver Brumbies of the South) and fourth (Silver Brumby Kingdom) book at my local library. I read them too in a matter of days and liked them just as much, or I'd say more since Silver Brumbies of the South was my absolute favourite. I've actually never read the last two books in the series as my library never seemed to have them in when I was there. Instead I re-read the first four books more times then I could count.

My Swedish double edition of the Silver Brumby and Silver Brumby's Daughter.

Years have gone since then but I've never forgotten the books and the fact that I never got to read the end of the book series kind of bother me. So a while ago I started to search for the books to add them to my collection of horsebooks. I want to read them again and one day, perhaps, pass them on to my own children.

The books I'm trying to locate for my Silver Brumby collection is:

The Silver Brumby
Silver Brumby's Daughter
Silver Brumbies of the South
Silver Brumby Kingdom
Silver Brumby Whirlwind
Son of the Whirlwind

and

Moon Filly (even though it's not an "actual" Thowra book it is connected to the rest).

I've actually been able to locate the first and second books and the fifth and sixth books.

The illustration on the cover of the Swedish edition of Silver Brumby's Daughter and found on the back of this double volume.


So what does this have to do with model horses you ask.

Actually it's quite simple; I have a plan to recreate all the important characters from these Brumby stories in model horse form. I also have a plan to create some of my favourite scenes from the books.

It'll take quite some time to do this so it'll be a slow but ongoing project. Although I will publish som progress pictures on this blog I've created a website for those of you who want to have all the news and info: The Silver Brumby Project

I plan to make this project in scale 1:32 (Stablemate) and I'll try to make each model different, either by using different molds for each horse or by some slight resculpting and repositioning.

I really look forward to this project, but before I can start I need to make a complete list of the characthers.

No comments:

Post a Comment