Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Slowly getting there

My previously tail-less Akhal-Teke is slowly progressing. With the help of two tutorials by Laura Skillern and re-posted on Jennifer's blog I took the plunge and tried my hands at sculpting my first traditional tail.

I had my boyfriend help me drill two holes in my poor ponies backend so that I could attach to wires. I then strengthened the bond with superglue and baking soda. After that I took masking tape and put over the wires, drew out the shape of the tail that I was aiming for and cut it out.

Unfortunately I was too into what I was doing so I actually forgot to take pictures of the earlier stages.
 After cutting out the shape I strengthened the tape on both sides with baking soda and superglue. I than started putting on snakes of apoxie.

Half of the back of the tail.

Whole back of the tail.
 I then smoothed out the snakes a bit with water:


And smoothed a bit more with water:


Then came the tedious work of sculpting in all the hair detail.
750:-
 

 It took me about 3 episodes of Supernatural to finish the tail and in the end the apoxie was almost a bit too hard to work with so I'll try to be faster next time.


I still need to finish the underside of the tail but as I almost smooshed the details working on one side I didn't dare to work on the underside before this side has dried fully so I won't destroy it.


I am quite happy with the look of the tail so far (especially for being my first try at a traditional tail)!

1 comment:

  1. Ambitious and beautiful! First-time triers at hair rock, if I say so myself. : )

    ReplyDelete