Monday, March 23, 2015

How to make model horse rosettes part 2

When you've chosen you're design and have all your materials ready it's time to get started. I began by cutting out 2 circles with my scissors. If I would've had any ribbons/rosettes here I would've measured them and scaled down to get a nice, in scale, size but as I don't have them here I had to eyeball it.

I cut one bigger circle for the back piece and one smaller for the centerpiece. My back piece was about 1 cm in diameter and my centerpiece was about 8 mm in diameter.



I then cut pieces of my ribbon a little more then double the length I want my ribbon pieces to be. I cut 7 pieces of the same length and two longer.

Then I began to glue four pieces in kind of a cross pattern onto the backpiece.



When they were dry I glued the last three pieces between the four I'd already glued and left one space empty.



In the empty space I glued the two longer pieces for the long ribbons.



When it's all dry a folded the shorter pieces and glued them to the middle, one by one (I did this clockwise). I kept an eye on the folded pieces so that they were somewhat equal in length.







I then glued the middle piece in place with a small dab of glue and put something heavy on it (I used a heavy candle-holder) to make sure it will stay in place and glue well. Lastly I cut the longer ribbons to size and cut out an arrow-shaped piece from the bottom. You might want to use some kind of fray check or a tiny amount of glue to keep your ribbon from unraveling.

My finished ribbons. The blue one is bigger than 1:9 scale but I thought it would be fun to try and make one out of that ribbon too.  

You can decorate the centerpiece to your liking before or after you've glued it on I drew a small horseshoe on mine after gluing them on. 

And that's how I made my ribbons. I will make more when I have time but I'll use my satin ribbon to get that real "show ribbon shine" and a better glue as I did not get along well with the one I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment