Friday, March 13, 2015

How to make model horse rosettes part 1: Research and materials

Since my rope halter tutorial has proven to be my most popular, and read, blog post I want to do another tutorial so I thought I'd try my hands at making model horse rosettes.

When making a rosette you first and foremost might want to consider what colour you want it to be. Of course you can make your rosette any colour you want for your purpose. But if you want to make rosette for an English setup or just for your barn it might be fun to have rosettes in your country's colours so doing a little research might be good if you don't know it already :)

I've done some research on colours in a few countries. I can't promise that these colours are the absolute correct ones but these are the ones I found when I did my research. Any way these colours aren't set in stone as they might vary with the type of show or the organizers preferences but these are relatively commonly seen from what I gathered when doing research.


Sweden
Norway
Netherlands
Australia
Canada
United States
U.K
First place
Blue and Yellow
Red, Blue and White
Orange
Blue
Red
Blue
Red
Second place
Blue
Red
Red
Red
Blue
Red
Blue
Third place
Yellow
Blue
White
White
White
Yellow
Yellow
Fourth place
Red
Green
Blue
Green
Yellow
White
Green
Fifth place
Green
Yellow

Yellow
Green
Pink
Pink
Sixth place
White


Brown
Pink
Green
Purple
Seventh place




Purple
Purple
Pale Green
Eight place




Brown
Brown
Tan
Ninth place




Orange
Grey
Brown
Tenth place




Mauve (light purple)
Light blue
Grey

For those countries that doesn't have colours beyond a certain placing they often use the colour of the last rosette, for example if you place seventh or lower you will be awarded a white rosette.

When you've chosen your colour or colours you need to decide on a design for your rosettes/ribbons. If you google show rosettes or show ribbons you will get a lot of pictures and can find a design to use for inspiration.

The materials I used:

Ribbon (I would've preferred to use my 3 mm satin ribbon but unfortunately they are packed away at my father's house where I keep my models so I can't get to it at the moment) 
Paper for the centerpiece and backpiece (sequins can probably be used as well and you can also use them to decorate the centerpiece)
Scissors
Glue


You don't need to types of glue or two pairs of scissors, I just couldn't decide which one to use :)
The ribbons I used was a 3 mm blue and yellow ribbon (it almost seems a little like grossgrain ribbon) and a 6 mm blue, patterned ribbon.

In the next part I will show you how I made my rosettes/ribbons.

No comments:

Post a Comment