Sunday, January 21, 2018

NaMoPaiMo Sign Up!

I entered NaMoPaiMo last year. Unfortunately I didn't manage to finish in time. But that doesn't mean that I won't try again this year! And this year, I have chosen an even bigger challenge than last year...


 I consider my experience level to be intermediate, I have painted some models before (I managed to finish 15 last year) and some has done quite well in shows (depending on competition) but I still have a lot to learn and quite some way to go before I'd consider myself advanced!

My model of choice this year is the Horsing Around Akhal-Teke Stallion sculpted by Sue Thompson. He came to me in quite bad condition so he'll have a whole lot of work that needs to be done before I can start painting him. I'm not even sure that I'll manage to have him prepped and primed in time for February 1st.

I plan to paint him Chestnut with lots of chrome as that is a colour I seldom see on Akhal-Teke models. Most of the akhal-teke models I've seen are usually painted in some shade of dilute or double dilute so I wanted to do something a little different.

The mediums I'll use are acrylics, pastels and maybe some coloured pencils for details and maybe some pearl-ex/mica powder/eyeshadow to achieve the certain "glow" that is often seen in Akhal-Tekes.

The biggest challenges with this project is the size. I have never painted anything bigger than little bit scale before. There is also the extensive prepping and sculpting needed to make him ready to paint. Also, chestnut is my favourite horse colour and I usually struggle to get a shade of chestnut that I really like. Next there is the white markings which will provide a challenge when it comes to keeping them smooth.


My goals during NaMoPaiMo this year (except to finish him, preferably in time!) is to try to come as close to the picture I have of him in my head. My other goals is to finish a few more models, some for the giveaway I plan on hosting for reaching  50 000 views and some as donations for a show.

It'll be fun to see how far I'll get, I hope to be able to finish him in a month but I will not rush as me being satisfied with what I've achieved, to have had fun and to have learned from this experience is far more important than finishing in time.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, a chestnut Akhal Teke! Just what I'm doing, only without much chrome. I love your resin, Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, more Tekes! Will be great to see how yours will look.
      Best of luck to you too!

      Delete