Tuesday, February 14, 2017

First attempts at dapples

Dapples have always been something that I have seen and admired on models painted by other artists but I have never dared to try them as I haven't figured out a technique that I think would work.

At least not until I joined NaMoPaiMo and saw a video tutorial on how to use Faber Castell eraser pencils to achieve dapples.

I was able to find the eraser pencils at an okay price at a local craft store so I bought 3 of them as they can be sharpened to get a finer point (I wasn't sure how fine the point needed to be so I bought more than 1 to have extras if I needed to sharp it often).

I tried them out on a model in my bodybox who was intended to be a dark dapple bay with pangare. This is my first attempt at dapples and this is the first layer. It looks a bit too stark but I think that I can make it more subtle with the next few layers.


I'm quite happy with his look for being my first try.


This is one of my "unofficial" NaMoPaiMo models but at the moment he's come so much further than my official model...


Here he is in still wet sealer after another layer of pastels. I can't wait to see his progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment