Friday, November 22, 2013

Legs and ears

During the packing for my move back at the end of August one box accidently fell out of the car when my father open the driver's side backdoor. The box in question was my body box. When I unpacked the box I saw that two of the model horses had suffered some damage.

The first one being my Bat Girl resin. She lost an ear so she added some work for me. She's had a broken tail before and someone glued it back but they glued it back slightly off from it's original placing so I have to figure out a way to get that fixed. But her repairs will be covered in another blog post :)

The other horse, my G1 Arabian mare, repainted by me, broke her leg and somehow, the piece got lost so she needs a whole new leg. I first thought that I'd repair it with the superglue and baking soda method. But since I've never tried that method I thought that it might be hard to make a whole leg. And I don't have any tools to reinforce the leg with wire so it was out of question.

Next idea was to sculpt a new leg in Fimo clay and attach it with superglue/baking soda. I'm by now means a good sculptor but I don't care, I just want to fix her for sentimental reasons. She's one of my first bay paintjobs so she'll never see a show ring, so if her leg is not perfect I don't care, I just want her to have one.
 
You see she looks miserable without her leg, she can't even stand on her own...
 
See? I had to help her :(
 
I tried to sculpt the whole pieces at once but I just ended up smushing the leg so I decided to make it in three sessions. First I made a "core", a piece with roughly the shape I was looking for. Then I tried the length and burnt it in the oven.
 
First try out, almost good, a little too long.
 I did some more sculpting to get some details in. I then put it in the oven again so that I could sculpt some last details.


Some more details.
After a third time in the oven I considered the leg done. So out with the glue and baking soda! (I cheated and only used glue, the strongest I could find, so I'm confident it'll suffice)

Now the leg is in place and she stands good on her own again =D I'm much happier now and I think she is too. Next step will be stripping, priming and repainting but that wont be covered in this post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment